.Net ramblings
# Thursday, 18 November 2004
System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

I have a WSE2 web service that was working fine until one day i got the above error.  i realised i had changed the permissions on the folder (for the web application), so that only System, Adminstrators and ASPNET had permissions on it.  Previously the 'Users' group had permissions.  By a process of elimination, i found out that IUSR_xx needed to have read/execute permissions aswell as ASPNET, even though the process is running with the identity of ASPNET. 

it's strange, but i thought i'd post my solution here in case anyone else comes across this.

Thursday, 18 November 2004 12:45:53 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)  #    Comments [5]  Asp.Net

Saturday, 22 January 2005 02:31:34 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Thanks Tim,

I ran into exactly the same problem - appreciate the time you saved me !

Wednesday, 31 May 2006 12:10:05 (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
I am getting the same error. So could you please help me out to tell me what folders and what permissions i need to check.

Sanjeev Azad
Thursday, 06 July 2006 11:52:39 (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
Cheers - I'd the same problem. Thanks for helping out.
Wednesday, 22 November 2006 00:15:56 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Thanks, this clued me in on fixing a recently migrated .net web service.
Thursday, 24 May 2007 16:01:13 (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)
Wow..........Thank You so much........i have been searched for the solution for this for 1 whole day.....I browsed every single website relate to it, and i just can not find the solution that would works for me!!!

Please login with either your OpenID above, or your details below.
Home page

Comment (Some html is allowed: a@href@title, strike) where the @ means "attribute." For example, you can use <a href="" title=""> or <blockquote cite="Scott">.  

[Captcha]Enter the code shown (prevents robots):

Live Comment Preview