Saturday, 13 March 2004
Howto: configure a Psion Series 5 for internet access with a Nokia 6610 (GPRS)
This took ages to figure out, and plenty of experimenting with different settings, so hopefully this might save someone else the hastle of having to spend half a day to get their Psion 5 (not MX) connected to the net with a Nokia 6610. I would say it would work with similar settings on other GPRS phones.
The internet settings are for the O2 network in Ireland and will need adjustments for a different network.
Saturday, 13 March 2004 23:10:23 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00) General
- install Psion Series 5 Message Suite version 1.52.
- Create a new modem called nokia 6610:
fax class auto,
init string: ATZ
flow control: hardware (RTS/CTS)
- Create new Internet Service called GPRS with the following settings.
connection type: dialup
uncheck smart dialing
standard dial-up number: *99#
manual login unchecked
addresses: get IP from server. get dns address from server unchecked.
primary dns address: 18.104.22.168
secondary dns address: 22.214.171.124
login: use login script checked. default 8 bit no partity 1 stop bit,
delete all content of login script text box, leave blank.
advanced: enable PPP extensions checked. allow plain text authentication checked.
- On the psion, set Remote Link to Infrared 57600.
- Get the GPRS settings for your phone from your network. O2 will send those details to your phone if you request it from http://www1.o2.ie/CM/getcontent/0,1177,txt_html_OTA_Home,00.html. Save these details to your phone.
- Activate Infrared on the phone. Connectivity > Infrared.
- Point the Infrared port of the phone thin black band on top of phone) to the Infrared port on the psion (1cm band on back of psion) a few inches away.